If you or a loved one suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) in an accident or another harmful incident, you might be eligible to seek compensation for your medical bills and other losses. Our Santa Rosa Beach brain injury lawyers can help you pursue financial relief and justice to lessen the burdens on you and your family resulting from this devastating injury.
At The Bruner Law Firm, we will dedicate every resource toward winning your case and obtaining maximum compensation. For over three decades, we have advocated for the rights of injury victims in Santa Rosa Beach and surrounding areas. We only get paid when you do; our initial consultations are always free. Contact us today at (850) 608-8715 or through our website to discuss your situation with a Santa Rosa Beach traumatic brain injury attorney.
Causes of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries are statistically one of the deadliest injuries that occur following accidents. Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that about 175 people die daily in the United States from traumatic brain injuries.
Injuries to the brain often cause long-lasting damage that can change the trajectory of the injured person’s life. TBIs can occur as a result of various accidents and incidents. Some of the most common causes of brain injuries include:
- Slip-and-fall accidents
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Boat accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace injuries
- Defective medical devices
- Medical malpractice
Symptoms of Brain Injuries
The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury can manifest differently depending on the person and the specific damage. Some symptoms may appear immediately, while others may not be apparent for hours or days after the injury. Furthermore, the symptoms can vary depending on whether the TBI is mild, moderate, or severe. Here are some of the most common symptoms of mild brain injuries:
- Sensitivity to light or noise
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Feeling “foggy” or groggy
- Dizziness or balance problems
- Mood swings
- Anxiety or nervousness
- Sadness or irritability
- Memory loss
- Trouble concentrating or thinking clearly
- Sleeping less than usual or more than usual
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Loss of fine motor skills
According to the CDC, the symptoms of moderate or severe TBIs include the following:
- Weakness in the arms and legs
- Changes in sensory perception, such as touch
- Feeling angry or aggressive
- Personality changes
- Trouble controlling behavior
- Trouble communicating and learning skills
- Difficulty remembering information
- Sadness or depression
The long-term adverse effects of suffering a traumatic brain injury can be significant and can make a person more susceptible to the following:
- Drug poisoning
If you suffered a head injury, you should contact your doctor immediately, even if you are not currently experiencing symptoms of a traumatic brain injury.
Can I Receive Compensation for My Brain Injury?
If you suffered a brain injury in an accident that was not your fault, you could be entitled to seek compensation for your medical bills and other losses resulting from the injury. A brain injury lawyer with The Bruner Law Firm can review the facts of your case and identify all potential sources of compensation, including applicable insurance coverage. An attorney can gather evidence to prove that another party is liable for your TBI and resulting losses.
What Compensation Is Available to Me?
Traumatic brain injuries can significantly change a person’s life and the lives of their family members. If you or a loved one suffered a TBI in an accident, you could be entitled to pursue compensation for the following losses:
- Medical costs associated with treating the brain injury, including doctor’s visits, diagnostic tests, rehabilitative care, physical therapy, medical equipment, and medications
- Physical pain and suffering
- Lost income from time missed at work
- Loss of future earning capacity if the injury results in a permanent disability
Wrongful Deaths Due to Brain Injuries
Under Florida law, a wrongful death occurs when someone dies due to another person or party’s negligence or wrongful act. If your family member passed away from complications of a traumatic brain injury caused by someone else, you could be eligible to file a wrongful death claim to pursue compensation. While no amount of money could compensate you for losing your loved one, receiving money through a wrongful death claim can relieve the financial burden of funeral costs, medical bills, and other expenses. Depending on your relationship with the decedent, you could seek compensation for the following:
- The value of lost support and services the decedent would have provided
- Loss of the decedent’s companionship and protection
- Loss of parental companionship, instruction, and guidance
- Mental pain and suffering from the date of injury
- Loss of the decedent’s income
Statute of Limitations for Brain Injuries and Wrongful Death
Under Florida law, you have just two years from the date a brain injury occurred to file a lawsuit founded on a theory of negligence. If the TBI happened due to medical malpractice, Florida law gives you two years from when the harmful incident occurred or was discovered to file suit. An action for wrongful death must also be filed within two years.
Should I Hire a Santa Rosa Beach Brain Accident Lawyer for My Lawsuit?
Hiring an attorney for your brain injury lawsuit can significantly increase your chances of obtaining the compensation and accountability you deserve. When you hire a brain injury lawyer at The Bruner Law Firm, you can count on us to help your case by:
- Investigating the accident or incident that caused the TBI to determine who is responsible
- Gathering evidence to prove liability and strengthen your case
- Identifying all possible sources of compensation, including insurance coverage
- Calculating the value of your claim, including past, current, and future medical expenses
- Communicating with insurers and other third parties on your behalf
- Working tirelessly to pursue the maximum compensation
Contact A Santa Rosa Beach Brain Injury Attorney
At The Bruner Law Firm, we understand that a traumatic brain injury can impact all aspects of a person’s life. Our Santa Rosa Beach injury attorneys have decades of experience helping injury victims pursue the compensation they need for medical bills and other expenses. Let us worry about the complex legal process and negotiations while you focus on recovery. For a free consultation, contact us at (850) 608-8715 or through our website today.