Social Security Statements: Moving into the 21st Century
Until last year, the Social Security Administration sent taxpayers an annual statement showing a complete record of their taxable earnings as well as estimated retirement, disability and survivor benefits based on those earnings. Now, the SSA has made the records available online in a cost-cutting method likely to save the program money.
Once you’ve created an account, you can login and access the following:
- Estimate the retirement, disability, and survivor benefits available to you
- Estimate benefits your family would get when you receive Social Security or die
- See your lifetime earning to date
- See the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid over your life
- Find information about qualifying and signing up for Medicare
- Apply online for SSI and SSDI
- Access a printer-friendly version of your Social Security Statement
To create your My Social Security account, go to ssa.gov/myaccount/ and follow the directions. You must have a valid email address, Social Security number, U.S. mailing address, and be an adult.