Getting involved in a car accident, even a minor one, can be a distressing experience. You have a lot on your mind, from dealing with vehicle repairs to filing insurance claims. While people often assume that hiring a lawyer is unnecessary for a minor car accident, an experienced injury lawyer can help protect your rights, no matter how small the case is. This blog post will explain how a car accident lawyer can increase your chances of getting the best outcome and securing compensation for your losses after a minor car accident.
Offering Sound Legal Advice
Having an injury lawyer by your side can be invaluable when dealing with the legal complexities surrounding a car accident. While you might think that your case is straightforward, there could be issues that only an experienced legal professional can identify. A skilled lawyer can assess the situation objectively, analyze the evidence, and provide you with legal advice tailored to your specific case. An injury lawyer can also answer your questions and evaluate your legal options at every step.
Maximizing Your Compensation
Insurance companies are businesses, and their primary goal is to minimize payouts. Even in a minor car accident, you could deserve compensation for medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. However, insurance adjusters may try to undervalue your claim, find ways to reduce their liability, or deny your claim altogether. An injury lawyer can advocate on your behalf, negotiate with the insurance company, and work toward maximizing the compensation you deserve. Furthermore, an injury lawyer can calculate all of the losses you incurred due to the accident, including intangible losses like emotional trauma and any future costs you might incur due to the wreck.
Gathering Evidence and Building a Strong Case
Proving liability in a car accident can be challenging, especially in a minor collision. An experienced injury lawyer can gather crucial evidence to build a robust case. Meanwhile, you can focus on healing from your injuries and moving forward with your life. An injury lawyer might collect the following types of evidence for your case:
- Police report – A police report can be valuable evidence because it describes the incident from a neutral perspective.
- Witness statements – Testimony from people who saw the accident can provide additional context and details.
- Photographs – Photos from the scene of the accident can show vehicle positions, road conditions, weather, visibility, traffic signals, and damage.
- Surveillance video – If the accident happened in an area with traffic cameras or surveillance cameras from nearby businesses, this footage can be instrumental in establishing the events leading to the crash.
- Medical records – Your medical records can prove the extent of injuries sustained and establish a clear link between the accident and the injuries.
- Vehicle damage reports – These reports can help determine the severity of the collision and possibly indicate which driver was at fault.
- Cell phone records – In cases where distracted driving might be a factor, phone records can prove if a driver was texting or on a call at the time of the accident.
- Accident reconstruction expert testimony – These experts can analyze the evidence and recreate the accident scene, helping to determine how the accident occurred and who was at fault.
- Driver logs or employment records – In the case of commercial drivers, logs and employment records might help establish fatigue, lack of proper training, or employer negligence.
- Vehicle inspection reports – Vehicle inspection reports might provide proof of a malfunctioning part.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Dealing with insurance companies can be overwhelming, especially if you’re recovering from injuries or trying to manage other aspects of your life. Insurance adjusters may use tactics to delay or deny your claim, leaving you frustrated and at a disadvantage. An injury lawyer can communicate with the insurers, handle the paperwork, engage in settlement discussions, and fight for your rights while you focus on your recovery. Furthermore, an injury lawyer can take your case to trial if settlement negotiations fail to pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Injury Lawyers After a Minor Car Accident
While a minor car accident may seem inconsequential, the aftermath can bring unexpected challenges and financial burdens. Hiring a personal injury lawyer after a minor crash can protect your rights. At The Bruner Law Firm, our legal team can help you seek the compensation and accountability you deserve after a car accident. That way, you can focus on your recovery and have peace of mind knowing that your case is in capable hands. If you were in a car accident – even a minor one – contact us online or call us at (850) 243-2222 for a free case review.